Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Countdown Ends #1

It's been a totally awesome 80 days where I've displayed my favorite 80 videos/songs of the 80's right here everyday for 80 days. It's basically been an impossible task as there have been numerous great songs and videos that didn't make my list for whatever reason.



Anyway, it's also a happy 3rd birthday to The Excellent 80's today, and here, after 80 days, is the #1 song/video from the 80's as selected by a panel of one at The Excellent 80's.


It's a song I remember blaring from my car speakers in the summer of 1987 before my junior year in high school. It's part rock ballad, part rock anthem. I loved the keyboards and the slow buildup, and then who can resist playing air drums as this song kicks into high gear with David Coverdale's vocals and a sweet guitar solo. Also proving they could play some music across the pond, this is the third straight non-U.S. group in the countdown.




The video itself features fast cars and a fast woman by the name of Tawny Kitaen who was unbelievably hot back then, and would later become Coverdale's wife for about two years, before divorcing and going on to marry baseball pitcher Chuck Finley (the couple would divorce as well). The only debate is who has the better hair in the video - David or Tawny?

But all of that doesn't matter to me. Just take me back to 1987 for this four and half minutes of hair metal magic, and this number one hit for the band Whitesnake as they cap off our Top 80 countdown. Thanks for following along!

#1 "Here I Go Again"
by Whitesnake




Lyrics | Whitesnake lyrics - Here I Go Again lyrics

No comments: