Monday, February 25, 2013

I've Always Known That the Mirror Never Lies

The Excellent 80's has been hitting you with an array of love songs, and pop hits, and R&B hits recently.  So, to kick off the week, I wanted to throw some hard hitting hair metal your way.  This band always was a little different then your average hair-metal band, in my opinion anyway.  Formed in the state of Washington around 1981, they're probably best known for their 1990 hit "Silent Lucidity."  Here is another one of their better songs from their concept album in 1988 entitled "Operation: Mindcrime."  It's "Eyes of a Stranger"...



All alone nowExcept for the memoriesOf what we had and what we knewEverytime I try to leave it behind meI see something that reminds me of youEvery night the dreams return to haunt meYour rosary wrapped around your throatI lie awake and sweat, afraid to fall asleepI see your face looking back at me
And I raise my head and stareInto the eyes of a strangerI've always known that the mirror never liesPeople always turn awayFrom eyes of a strangerAfraid to know whatLies behind the stare
Is this all that's leftOf my life before meStraight-jacket memories, sedative highsNo happy ending like they've always promisedThere's got to be something left for me
And I raise my head and stareInto the eyes of a strangerI've always known that the mirror never liesPeople always turn awayFrom eyes of a strangerAfraid to know whatLies behind the stare
How many times must I live this tragedyHow many more lies will they tell meAll I want is the same as everyoneWhy am I here, and for how long
And I raise my head and stareInto the eyes of a strangerI've always known that the mirror never liesPeople always turn awayFrom eyes of a strangerAfraid to know whatLies behind the stare

"Eyes of a Stranger"
Single by Queensrÿche
from the album Operation: Mindcrime
Released1988
FormatCDVinyl
Recorded1987–1988
Kajem/Victory Studios,
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania, USA
GenreProgressive metal
Length6:38
LabelEMI
Writer(s)Chris DeGarmo
Geoff Tate
ProducerPeter Collins

No comments: