Friday, September 23, 2011

Oh, You Can Depend On Me, Over and Over

Today's video from 1985 is an interesting one for me, because I remember watching this video and thinking to myself 'who knew Clarence Clemons could sing?' Ok, so the late, great saxophonist that was part of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band is no Marvin Gaye, but he sounds good on this duet. I also remember thinking to myself in 1985, 'who is Jackson Browne?' LOL. Shows you how little I knew about the 70's and some of those great artists.
Also interesting in this video and song is that Jackson's then girlfriend Darryl Hannah appears and sings background vocals on the song. Sure the lyrics are corny and the dancing between Brown and Clemons is awkward at best, but there's still a lot to love about this 80's video. It still makes me tap my foot and bob my head a little every time I hear it. I never really got to pay tribute to Clemons when he passed away in June, so consider this The Excellent 80's little tribute to the big man. Here is "You're A Friend of Mind." Sing it big man! Sing it!




Lyrics | Clarence Clemons & Jackson Browne lyrics - You're A Friend Of Mine lyrics

"You're a Friend of Mine"
Single by Clarence Clemons and Jackson Browne
from the album Hero
Released 1985
Genre Rock
Length 4:48
Label CBS Records
Writer(s) Narada Michael Walden, Jeffrey Cohen
Producer Narada Michael Walden

U.S. Billboard Hot 100 peak: #18

No comments: